If you feel like you are dealing with uncertainty all the time you are not alone. 2020 has been a wild ride. No one could have predicted a pandemic when this year started. The coronavirus has changed life as we know it. Our sense of normalcy has become unrecognizable in many ways.
Public health policies, including physical distancing, social changes, rules, regulations, and quarantines have caused a feeling of fear for many. There have been a lot of unknowns for people to deal with.
Economic insecurity, changes to daily routines as well as changes to the fabric of normal life in the World in many ways. The holiday season is also fast approaching and many face uncertainty in the coming months. Try some of these suggestions to protect your sanity and stay well during the pandemic.
In general, people thrive off of certainty, normalcy, and a sense of safety. We want to feel safe and have a sense of control over our lives and well-being. With current restrictions, and rule changes from week to week, and uncertainty, there are steps you can take to make the journey of 2020 a little bit easier.
Uncertainty is an unavoidable part of life. Life changes in an instant. That can be a little hard to get your head around. Routine is a grounding practice. It gives you balance, consistency and reliability, which helps calm your mind in times of worry and trouble.
Create a routine and stick with it!
Self-Care Tips To Fight Fear Uncertainty The Pandemic
- Use positive self-talk. Don’t beat yourself up if you struggle with uncertainties in life during this crazy year. Everyone has their own level of resiliency. Acknowledge your own efforts and use positive self-talk.
- Control what you can control. Focus on the things that you can actually control, even if it’s as simple as daily routine, fitness planning or pre organizing meals for the week.
- Don’t binge-watch bad news. You know that it is easy to spend hours watching negative news. Limit this. Watch positive news and also just cut it off at some point. Catastrophic sensational news is not a mood lifter.
- Be your own biggest supporter. If you were talking to a close friend, how would you show support if they are stressed about uncertainty? What would you tell them, and how would you encourage them? Turn this set of good vibes onto yourself.
- Also – seek support from your network. Share your experience and struggles with trusted sources. Venting is one of the best ways to process feelings. This can be friends, supportive family, or even online groups. Share highs, lows, successes, and failures. This is a great way to thrive in uncertain times.
- Expand your skillset. Sometimes uncertainty pushes us into a positive change. Step out of your skillset and your niche. When times are hard expanding the things, you can do can help you thrive. You will be more marketable and feel more in control of your life.
- Talk to a pro. If you’re having trouble managing stress and dealing with uncertainty, talk to a pro. This can be a therapist, your primary care MD or a health and wellness coach.
You are the captain of your life. Implement habits to fortify yourself in times of uncertainty. The pandemic life is hard for everyone. You are not alone. Staying healthy, optimistic, and taking care of yourself are keys to healthy and strong well-being.
Implementing some of these practices will help you develop techniques to combat stress and challenges in uncertain times. You can avoid being a victim to the chronic uncertainty that is life during the pandemic.